Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Kathmandu, Nepal (May 5, 2021)
Location: Nepal Countrywide
Event: The Government of Nepal announced a lockdown in Kathmandu from April 29 to May 14. While most restrictions remain unchanged since first issued on April 26, there are some modifications in Kathmandu valley until May 12. Specifically, operational hours for grocery stores are limited to between 7:00 am and 9:00 am, and pharmacies and health related shops are permitted to operate under normal hours. Most businesses, except for some banks and certain government offices, remain closed. Personal and public vehicles are also prohibited and only emergency vehicles will be permitted to travel. Individuals entering the Kathmandu valley are subject to a mandatory quarantine upon arrival and mask use and social distancing are mandated when out in town.
The Kathmandu District Administration Office has requested that valley residents limit movements to only those necessary to sustain life and safety. The Ambassador has directed that all Embassy personnel avoid unnecessary trips around Kathmandu.
Travel: U.S. citizens who wish to depart Nepal should take advantage of available commercial transportation options now. The Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal (CAAN) announced on May 3 that international flights will be suspended from midnight on May 6 to midnight on May 14. CAAN also announced that all domestic flights will be suspended from midnight on May 3 to midnight on May 14. Please check with your airline regarding future flight availability and re-booking your flight. Commercial airlines are considering the operation of limited commercial repatriation flights. Operation of cargo flights, rescue flights, and evacuation flights will be carried out subject to special permission. A ten-day quarantine has been reinstated for all international arrivals to Nepal.
The Nepal Ministry of Tourism has created a website to assist travelers with COVID information; the site includes a travel locator form to be filled out by travelers. See COVID – 19 Status Update (welcomenepal.com)
Embassy Services: The U.S. Embassy will remain closed for routine U.S. citizen services and for all visa services for the duration of the lockdown. All U.S. citizen services appointments will be rescheduled. In the event of an immediate need for service or an emergency, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an emergency appointment or call 01 423 4000. The Embassy will reopen U.S. citizen services appointments after the lockdown is lifted.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website, for the most up-to-date information regarding enhanced screening procedures.
- Check with the airlines regarding any flight cancellations and/or restrictions on flying.
- Consult the Government of Nepal’s Ministry of Health and Population website at https://heoc.mohp.gov.np/update-on-novel-corona-virus-covid-19/ for the latest updates on the health situation in Nepal.
- Consult the Government of Nepal’s Immigration Department website at http://www.nepalimmigration.gov.np/ or the latest updates about immigration restrictions in Nepal.
- Consult the U.S. Embassy website at https://np.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/ for updates on Nepal-specific COVID-19 information, entry to and exit from Nepal, quarantine information, and for other local resource contact information.
- Always wear your mask and practice social distancing.