Zahawi says five days of testing could mean no self-isolation
Boris Johnson is expected to confirm his decision to abandon nearly all coronavirus restrictions in England after 19 July – while cautioning that his government’s plans “must come with a warning”.
Having notably dropped claims that such a move is “irreversible”, the prime minister will reportedly use a Monday press conference to remind the nation that “caution is absolutely vital, and we must all take responsibility so we don’t undo our progress”.
Meanwhile, The Independent understands that the test and trace service is “panicking” as it scrambles to fill thousands of vacant contact-tracing positions ahead of a summer wave feared to bring 100,000 cases a day, with private firms Serco and Sitel asked to recruit up to 7,000 new call centre staff with no clinical training and on substantially cheaper rates than those made redundant en masse in May.
It comes as scientists sound the alarm over rising hospital admissions, with Professor Peter Openshaw, who sits on the government’s advisory Nervtag committee, warning “we are all very concerned about the very rapid rise” in hospitalisations – now in their hundreds each day and, according to one Public Health England official, at risk of hitting 3,000 per day if cases rise in line with government estimates.
Government scientific advisers have also warned that ending compulsory mask-wearing could spread confusion and undermine efforts to bring the spread of Covid-19 under control.
Read more:
An Opinium poll suggested last week that 50 per cent of people believe so-called “freedom day” should be delayed beyond 19 July, compared with just 31 per cent who thought it should go ahead as planned.
Meanwhile, support for the baseline measure of mask-wearing appeared to be even higher – with nearly three-quarters of respondents believing they should still be worn on public transport.
Andy Gregory12 July 2021 14:08
Dutch PM apologises for lifting restrictions too soon
The prime minister of the Netherlands has apologised for lifting restrictions too soon, after being forced to reimpose curbs on bars, restaurants and nightclubs just two weeks after they were relaxed amid an “unprecedented” surge in infections.
“What we thought would be possible, turned out not to be possible in practice,” Mark Rutte told reporters on Monday. “We had poor judgement, which we regret and for which we apologise.”
“Two weeks ago all signals were on green,” Dutch health minister Hugo de Jonge said on Friday as the U-turn was announced. “But now there’s a reason to intervene. This is a result of the rapid spread of the Delta variant in Europe and the Netherlands,” he said.
“This is unprecedented. The previous week we sat at around 500 new cases per day. Today there are 7,000 new infections,” Mr de Jonge said.
Andy Gregory12 July 2021 13:56
Restriction easing date ‘hangs in the balance’ north of the border, Scottish Labour warns
The Scottish Government must show “urgency and ambition” on vaccinations and contact tracing if there is to be no delay in easing restrictions, Scottish Labour has said, warning that the planned lifting of measures from next Monday “hangs in the balance”.
Ahead of an announcement tomorrow by Nicola Sturgeon, Scottish Labour’s health spokeswoman Jackie Baillie called for “immediate action” to tackle the pandemic, including cutting the eight-week wait between vaccine doses to four weeks.
“The SNP has lost control of the pandemic and our exit from lockdown hangs in the balance,” she said. |We need immediate action that meets the scale of the crisis before us.
Urging Holyrood to cut the gap between vaccine doses to four weeks, in line with WHO guidance, Ms Baillie added: “We are also calling on the government to get a grip of our failing Test and Protect system and instead of cutting corners and lowering standards, do all that they can to support the staff in their efforts.”
Andy Gregory12 July 2021 13:45
New face mask guidance could spread confusion, experts warn
Ending compulsory mask-wearing guidance could cause confusion and undermine efforts to bring the spread of Covid-19 under control, Government scientific advisers have warned.
The warning comes as Boris Johnson prepares to confirm the full lifting of remaining Covid-19 restrictions starting from 19 July, including mandatory use of face coverings on public transport and in certain areas.
Chantal Da Silva12 July 2021 13:21
Belly Mujinga: Pre-inquest hearing to be held into railway worker’s death
A pre-inquest mention hearing into the death of Belly Mujinga, a railway worker who died after reportedly being coughed on and spat at by a man claiming to have coronavirus, is taking place today.
The British Transport Police (BTP) had investigated the railway worker’s death after she died with Covid-19 in April of last year.
However, they concluded that her death was not linked to the prior incident and closed the case.
Earlier this year however, North London coroner Andrew Walker said an inquest was needed into Ms Mujinga’s death.
The decision came after her family campaigned for an inquest, with a petition gaining widespread traction in the UK.
Belly Mujinga, 47, died in April 2020
( Supplied)
Chantal Da Silva12 July 2021 13:05
Covid-19 vaccine gap should not be reduced below eight weeks, expert says
Professor Adam Finn, a member of the Government’s Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI), has said that while there are advantages to getting second Covid-19 vaccine doses early, the gap between jabs should not be reduced below eight weeks.
“There is of course an advantage in giving the second dose early, in the current circumstances with all the cases that we are seeing because you get a further boost, but the downside to that is the size of that boost is smaller and probably that will mean that the duration of protection you get from that second dose will be shorter,” Mr Finn said, speaking on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme on Monday.
“So there’s a sweet spot, and at the moment the advice we have given is we should not reduce the interval less than eight weeks,” he said.
Chantal Da Silva12 July 2021 12:41
Woman infected with two different Covid variants at the same time, researchers find
A 90-year-old woman in Belgium was infected with two different coronavirus variants at the same time, researchers have found, in what is one of the first documented cases of its kind.
Despite showing no initial signs of respiratory distress, she soon deteriorated and died five days after her admission.
Our science correspondent Samuel Lovett has more details:
Andy Gregory12 July 2021 12:25
With many people across the UK having seen their wedding plans disrupted over the past 18 months, the industry – like many others – is still a long way from normality.
The Independent’s IndyBest editor, Emma Henderson, who recently tied the knot in favour of a small wedding, will host a panel made up of industry experts – including Sarah Allard, editor of Hitched.co.uk, photographer Lucie Watson and wedding planner Valentina Ring – to discuss the questions on every engaged couple’s minds now, as well as look at the future of this huge industry in a post-pandemic world.
Andy Gregory12 July 2021 12:15
To keep up to date with the latest news on Covid, you can sign up to our newsletters for free and take your pick of topics – from Inside Politics to Simon Calder’s Travel Weekly, as well Shaun Lintern’s Health Check.
To find out how to sign up, click here.
Andy Gregory12 July 2021 12:02
Labour attacks government’s ‘reckless’ plans for 19 July
“We don’t think that all of the restrictions should be lifted in one go on 19 July because we think that’s reckless at a time when infections are rising rapidly. We need to take a balanced approach,” Labour’s Jo Stevens has told ITV News.
“So there are certain things that should stay in place like mandatory mask wearing on public transport and in health and social care settings. We still need to sort out payments for people who have to self-isolate.
“And to do what has been suggested – a kind of blanket lifting of restrictions, when we know that infection rates are going up and up and up, and the government have admitted as such, that it would be reckless to do that.”
Andy Gregory12 July 2021 11:50
