US spends $275M more on Eli Lilly’s Covid mAb as about half of supplies have been administered so far – Endpoints News


Eli Lil­ly said Wednes­day that the US gov­ern­ment has re-upped its sup­ply of the Covid-19 treat­ment bebtelovimab, which is the last mon­o­clon­al an­ti­body or mAb treat­ment left to at­tack this lat­est strain of Omi­cron.

The US will pay $275 mil­lion for 150,000 dos­es of bebtelovimab, which comes out to about $1,833 per dose. Back in Feb­ru­ary, the US bought 600,000 dos­es for $1.08 bil­lion, or about $1,800 per dose.

Of that ini­tial tranche of 600,000 dos­es of bebtelovimab, au­tho­rized for the treat­ment of mild-to-mod­er­ate Covid-19 in those ages 12 and up, more than 490,000 have al­ready been or­dered by states, and more than 200,000 dos­es have al­ready been ad­min­is­tered, ac­cord­ing to the Of­fice of the As­sis­tant Sec­re­tary for Pre­pared­ness and Re­sponse.

De­liv­ery of dos­es will be­gin im­me­di­ate­ly and com­plete no lat­er than Aug. 5, Lil­ly said, not­ing an op­tion for an ad­di­tion­al 350,000 dos­es may be made avail­able no lat­er than Sept. 14.

While bebtelovimab is the last mAb Covid-19 treat­ment stand­ing, the FDA this week al­so ex­tend­ed the shelf life on Re­gen­eron’s mAb treat­ment, which doesn’t work against this cur­rent Omi­cron strain, and for As­traZeneca’s Evusheld, which can be used pro­phy­lac­ti­cal­ly and does work against this lat­est sub­vari­ant.



Source link

Ozinize
Logo
Shopping cart