NH faces winter COVID surge. Bivalent booster shots seen as vital.


New Hampshire public health officials say they see a dangerous combination ahead: a winter rise in COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations, and deaths, and low interest in coronavirus booster shots, especially the new bivalent dose targeted at omicron

Approximately half of Granite Staters eligible for the first booster have gotten one and far fewer, about 35%, have received a second, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The agency has not reported state-level uptakes of the new bivalent booster but has put the national rate at just 4%. 

COVID vaccine shots need to be followed up this fall with the most up-to-date bivalent booster shots to decrease the risk of being infected, hospitalization or death, according to doctors and public health officials across New Hampshire and nationally.

Meanwhile, the Kaiser Family Foundation reported in September that half the country had heard “very little” or nothing about the latest booster, which became available last month and is targeted at COVID-19 and the omicron variants BA.4 and BA.5. 

More:Yes, you should get updated COVID vaccine boosters: CDC and Seacoast doctors agree

More:Which COVID-19 bivalent booster should I get, and when? What you need to know.

As of this week, Moderna’s bivalent is authorized for people ages 6 and older; the Pfizer bivalent is available to people 5 and older. 

Dr. Sally Kraft, vice president of population health at Dartmouth Health.

“It’s one thing to have the vaccine,” said Dr. Sally Kraft, vice president of population health at Dartmouth Health, in a briefing on the bivalent booster Tuesday. “It’s another to get that vaccine in people’s arms.”

Kraft isn’t alone in sounding the alarm as COVID-19 cases, hospitalization and deaths are already beginning to rise. Friday, the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services asked lawmakers for approval to use $8.9 million in federal pandemic aid to expand access to vaccines and antiviral medications. 

The Commonwealth Fund predicts COVID-19 hospitalizations and deaths could be near zero if 80 percent of the population got booster doses.

The latest on COVID-19 in New Hampshire

There is good news here. The state is in a much better place than it was in January. Deaths have dropped from an average of 11 a day to one, according to the state Department of Health and Human Services’ COVID-19 tracker

Hospitalizations have dropped dramatically, according to the department and the New Hampshire Hospital Association, from about 400 at the start of the year to about 140 on Wednesday. Forty-two were being treated with an antiviral medication, the only patients the state counts on its tracker as COVID-19 patients. The others required other inpatient COVID-19 treatment or care for COVID-19-related illnesses.

It’s impossible to accurately track new COVID-19 cases because home test results are not reported to the state. 

Michael S. Calderwood is chief quality officer at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center.

Dr. Michael Calderwood, chief quality officer at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, attributed those improvements to increased immunity in the state from vaccination, boosters, and COVID-19 infections. But those numbers are ticking up, he said, as immunity wanes and new primary vaccination doses and boosters have stalled. That rise in cases will continue as the holidays bring people together and the cold weather moves social events indoors, he said.



Source link

Ozinize
Logo
Shopping cart