China is not a top contributor to the World Health Organization


Each country that makes up the World Health Organization pays a fee. The data show that China contributes far less to WHO than many other countries, including the United States.

Since SARS-CoV-2 was first detected in China in December 2019, the World Health Organization’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic has been the focus of many in the world. Last year, he broke off his relationship with the World Health Organization. The group claimed to have mismanaged the pandemic and was strongly influenced by China.

The United States then re-contracted with the International Health Organization under President Joe Biden, but the World Health Organization is still receiving worldwide attention. One VERIFY viewer asked about the group’s funding.

question

Does the World Health Organization receive money from China?

Source of information

answer

Yes, the World Health Organization receives money from China as well as from governments in all 194 member states.

What we found

World Health Organization (WHO) receives funding from Two sources: Recognized and voluntary contributions from member states.

WHO characterizes the assessed donations as membership fees for each member country. The World Health Organization has 194 member countries, including China. According to WHO, the assessed contributions are calculated by the UN General Assembly based on the wealth and population of the country.

In the October 2020 report, Congressional Research Service said The United States is the top valued contributor and is set to pay 22% of WHO’s total valued contributions. Other top-rated contributors were China with 12% and Japan with 8.5%.

China is one of the top contributors valued, but funding from the valued contributions Approximately 16% of WHO’s $ 5.8 billion two-year budget from 2020 to 2021, The organization says. The remaining 84% is funded by voluntary donations.

Data from WHO Shows that China contributed less than 1% of WHO’s total funding for the two-year budget from 2020 to 2021, which was last updated to reflect the second quarter of 2021. This includes assessments and voluntary donations. Unlike some countries such as the United States China’s contribution Contribution is appreciated.

NS External audit WHO’s 2020 fiscal year report, conducted by the Comptroller and Auditorium of India and the Directorate General of Audit, states: “Financial statements, in all important respects, WHO’s financial position for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2020. Is shown fairly. ” Therefore, the auditor concluded that WHO’s financial reporting was accurate.

With the current two-year budget, the United States Fourth largest total contributor To WHO. The three largest contributors are Germany, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and the European Commission.

Congressional Research Service, U.S. Largest Government Voluntary Contributor in 2019, Followed by England and Germany. According to research services, the United States provided an average of $ 262 million in additional voluntary funding between fiscal year 2012 and fiscal year 2019.

But that changed when the Trump administration broke the relationship between the United States and the World Health Organization in 2020. Council on Foreign Relations, A nonpartisan think tank.

“Usually the largest contributor, the United States, became the third largest donor in 2020, providing $ 594 million in the first three quarters, or about 8% of WHO’s budget,” the organization said. Stated.

President Biden Restored US relations with WHO When he took office in January 2021.

Other articles on VERIFY: Yes, the World Health Organization is responsible for labeling COVID-19 variants using Greek letters

NS Verification The team distinguishes between facts and fiction so that they can understand what is true and what is wrong.Consider our daily subscription Newsletter, Text alert And our youtube channel..You can follow us too Snapchat, twitter, Instagram, Facebook When Ticktaku.. learn more “

To follow

Need a verified one?

Text: 202-410-8808

China is not a top contributor to the World Health Organization

Source link China is not a top contributor to the World Health Organization





Source link

We will be happy to hear your thoughts

Leave a reply

Ozinize
Logo
Shopping cart