24 Yemeni health workers die from COVID-19 in April: health ministry

SaveSavedRemoved 0
Deal Score0
Deal Score0


ADEN, Yemen, April 21 (Xinhua) — The Yemeni health ministry revealed on Wednesday that 24 frontline health workers have already died of COVID-19 in April.

The ministry said in a brief press statement that the 24 victims were health workers under the Ministry of Health in the provinces controlled by the government.

Meanwhile, the country’s Supreme National Emergency Committee for Coronavirus said some 42 new COVID-19 cases were recorded during the past 24 hours, raising the total number to 5,960 in the government-controlled regions.

Meanwhile, 28 people recovered during the past 24 hours, taking the overall number of recoveries to 2,309, while nine deaths were reported, raising the death toll to 1,147, according to the pro-government committee.

The Yemeni government, backed by the World Health Organization (WHO), the UNICEF, and Saudi Arabia’s King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center, launched on Tuesday the first round of of COVID-19 vaccination campaign in the southern port city of Aden.

War-ravaged Yemen received 360,000 doses of the British AstraZeneca vaccine on March 31, out of this year’s total expected 1.9 million doses from COVAX, a WHO-backed global initiative for distributing the COVID-19 vaccines.

The Yemeni government previously called on donors and relevant international humanitarian organizations to provide support to help contain the pandemic.

Yemen has been mired in a civil war since late 2014, when the Iran-backed Houthi group seized control of much of the country’s north and forced the internationally-recognized government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi out of the capital Sanaa.

The Saudi-led Arab coalition intervened in the Yemeni conflict in March 2015 to support Hadi’s government.



Source link

We will be happy to hear your thoughts

Leave a reply

Ozinize
Logo