
Sudan has detected its first monkeypox case, health authorities said Monday, after the World Health Organization last month declared the disease a public health emergency of international concern.
The health ministry announced “registering the first confirmed case of monkeypox in a 16-year-old student in West Darfur state in Sudan”.
Montaser Othman, who is director of epidemic control, said there had been around 38 other “suspected cases” but all had tested negative for the virus.
An investigation was underway by the federal and state health ministries to determine the source of the infection, he added.
The impoverished northeast African nation is especially vulnerable given its poor public health services.
According to UN children’s agency UNICEF, only 70 percent of the 45-million-strong population have “access to a health facility within 30 minutes travel of their home” in Sudan, where 13 of 18 states suffered outbreaks of vector-borne diseases in 2021.
Last month the WHO declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern, the highest alarm it can sound.
© 2022 AFP
Citation:
Sudan reports its first monkeypox case (2022, August 1)
retrieved 2 August 2022
from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2022-08-sudan-monkeypox-case.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
