Delhi reported 15,097 fresh cases, nearly 50% more than yesterday. There were six deaths due to Covid over the last 24 hours. The number of active cases has risen to 31,498. Positivity rate has gone up to 15.34%.
Other top headlines of the day:
- Maharashtra stops genome sequencing after 55% samples confirm Omicron
- India’s recovery rate stands at 97.81 per cent
- China reports 132 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases
- Number of Omicron variant cases rises to 2,630
- J&K: Vaishno Devi yatra, helicopter services resumed today morning
- Delhi: Fire breaks out at Lajpat Rai Market in Chandni Chowk
- 6 killed, over 20 critical in gas leak in Surat, Gujarat
- Union minister Bharati Pawar tests Covid positive
!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Wrap Up: All you need to know
- Maharashtra reports 36,265 new coronavirus cases including 79 infections of Omicron variant
- Mumbai reports 20,181 new COVID-19 cases, fresh all-time one-day high, taking tally to 8,53,809
- All passengers de-boarding at Bhubaneswar airport, barring those in transit, will have to undergo RT-PCR test from Friday
- Kerala’s Covid tally rises to 52,58,939 with 4,649 fresh cases, 221 more fatalities push death toll to 49,116
- Delhi records 15,097 fresh Covid cases, highest since May 8, six deaths; positivity rate mounts to 15.34 per cent
- Bengal logs 15,421 new COVID-19 cases, 1,399 more than previous day; 19 fresh fatalities
- Tamil Nadu’s Covid tally rises to 27,67,432 with 6,983 fresh cases
- South Africa beat India by seven wickets in second Test at Johannesburg to level three-match series 1-1
- ASI says centrally protected monuments under its Delhi circle will remain closed from Jan 6-20 due to sudden surge in Covid cases
- MHA sets up panel to probe serious lapses in security during PM’s visit to Punjab that led to exposure of VVIP to grave risk
At first, the road shouldn’t have been blocked but on the other hand, there was no crowd in his program. It’s the responsibility of state govt to provide protection to PM but Congress govt has totally failed
– SAD Patron Parkash Singh Badal on PM Modi’s security breach in Punjab
JNU, DU issue guidelines for staff in view of rising COVID-19 cases
Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) and Delhi University (DU) have issued guidelines for their staffers in view of the surge in coronavirus cases. According to the guidelines issued by JNU on January 5, biometric attendance will continue to remain suspended until further orders. It directed department heads of respective branches to ensure physical marking of attendance.
14-day quarantine for international arrivals who test positive in Karnataka
Jharkhand reports 3,704 new cases, 4 deaths, and 435 recoveries in the last 24 hours
West Bengal reports 15,421 new cases, 7,343 recoveries and, 19 deaths today. Active cases 41,101 (+8,059)
With the shutting of Delhi govt schools due to the surge in COVID-19 cases, an order has been issued to distribute dry ration kits amongst all the students, in the form of mid-day meals: Delhi Govt
Italy’s coronavirus cases hit new daily record of 219,441
WHO: Record weekly jump in COVID-19 cases but fewer deaths
The World Health Organization said Thursday a record 9.5 million cases of COVID-19 were tallied around the world last week, marking a 71% weekly surge that amounted to a “tsunami” as the new omicron variant sweeps worldwide. However, the number of recorded deaths declined.
Indonesia adds France to travel ban list
Indonesia will ban entry for foreign travelers from France starting Friday following rising Omicron variant infections in the European country, according to the latest regulation on travel restriction released Thursday by the Indonesian COVID-19 Task Force.
Omicron infected person dead in Odisha
Odisha Thursday reported for the first time death of a person infected by Omicron, however, authorities have said that it is yet to be ascertained whether she died due to the coronavirus variant.
Health Ministry writes to director of AIIMS, Delhi, PGIMER, Chandigarh, JIPMER, Puducherry & other AIIMS institutes asking them to utilise funds made available to the institutes under ECRP-II & Grants in aid to be used to maintain supply of testing reagents & kits to avoid shortages
Bulli Bai case | Main accused Neeraj Bishnoi remanded to 7-day police custody
He was arrested from Assam by Delhi Police Special Cell’s IFSO team.
Assam reports 844 new cases, 2 deaths, & 132 recoveries today
- Active cases at 2,689
- Positivity rate at 2.37%
Chandigarh: All non-essential activities prohibited b/w 10pm-5am; 50% WFH for govt/pvt offices
All non-essential activities prohibited b/w 10pm-5am. Educational institutions &sports complexes to remain closed;… https://t.co/sx49nAe9VL
— ANI (@ANI) 1641484932000
It’s clear from video of the occasion that protesting farmers didn’t even make any effort to go towards PM’s convoy. Only a group with BJP flag& raising”Narendra Modi Zindabad”slogan had reached near that convoy. Therefore, threat to the life of PM seems completely concocted
Some farmers were stopped by police from going to Ferozepur Dist HQ, they protested by sitting on road at many places. Of these, was that flyover too where PM’s convoy came,stopped & went back. Farmers there had no concrete info that the PM’s convoy was going to pass through
On receiving the news of PM Modi proposed visit to Punjab on January 5, 10 farmer organizations affiliated to the Samyukta Kisan Morcha had announced a symbolic protest for the arrest of Ajay Mishra Teni and other outstanding demands
– Samyukt Kisan Morcha
Johannesburg Test: South Africa beat India by 7 wickets to level the 3-match series 1-1
- South Africa defeat India by 7 wickets in the second Test at Johannesburg, series now level at 1-1
- Set to score 240 in the final innings on a pitch of uneven bounce, the Proteas reached the target mainly due to a fighting 96 by captain Dean Elgar.
- Rassie van Dussen (40) and Alden Markram (31) also contributed. For India, Shami, Ashwin and Shardul Thakur took one wicket each.
- This is the first time South Africa have beaten India in a Test at The Wanderers.
COVID-19: Chandigarh reports 331 new cases & 17 recoveries today
- Positivity rate at 7.61%
- Active cases at 979
- 14,490 children in the 15-18 age group vaccinated today
India’s COVID-19 vaccination coverage crosses 149.57 crores with more than 85 lakh vaccine doses administered till 7 pm today
PM security: Sudhir Saxena, Secy, Security will lead MHA probe panel
Other members are Balbir Singh, Jt. Director, IB; S Suresh, IG, SPG
“The Prime Minister of India is an institution. It is the duty of every Government to provide foolproof security and safeguard the dignity of this institution. Anything contrary should be unacceptable in our democracy,” tweets Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik
MHA constitutes a committee to enquire into the serious lapses in the security arrangements during PM’s visit to Ferozepur, Punjab
Committee constituted to enquire into the serious lapses in the security arrangements during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Ferozepur, Punjab on 5th January, which led to the exposure of the VVIP to grave security risk: Ministry of Home Affairs
An earthquake of magnitude 4.2 occurred 68 km southwest of Thimphu, Bhutan at 2016 hours: National Center for Seismology
The Election Commission of India enhances the existing election expenditure limit for candidates in Parliamentary and Assembly constituencies
These limits will be applicable in all upcoming elections.
ASI says centrally protected monuments under its Delhi circle will remain closed from Jan 6-20 due to sudden surge in Covid cases
Bengal logs 15,421 new COVID-19 cases, 1,399 more than previous day; 19 fresh fatalities: Health Dept
Israel to cancel high COVID-risk designation of U.S., 7 other countries
Israel is cancelling its designation of the United States and seven other countries as high COVID-19 risks, the Health Ministry said on Thursday, as the fast-spreading but relatively low-morbidity Omicron variant prompts reviews of restrictions. India is not included in the list.
Kerala Literature Festival postponed to March 17 amid rising Covid cases
Maharashtra reports 36,265 new Covid cases; 79 Omicron infections
Maharashtra reports 36,265 new cases, 13 deaths and, 8,907 discharges today. State reports 79 Omicron cases today, taking the tally to 876 including 381 recoveries.
With the rise in COVID19 & Omicron cases, Odisha govt has issued a new guideline
- Night curfew will be imposed from 9pm to 5am, starting tomorrow
- A total of 100 guests allowed in weddings & 50 at funerals: S.K. Priyadarsi, Police Commissioner, Bhubaneswar-Cuttack
Mumbai: Positivity rate is at 29.90% today. 20181 samples tested positive out of the 67,000 samples tested
Mumbai reports 20,181 new cases of COVID19, 4 deaths today; Active caseload stands at 79,260
Mumbai’s Dharavi reports 107 new COVID19 infections, the highest ever spike in a day
Case tally at 7,626: Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation
Puducherry | Liquor shops/restaurants/hotels serving liquor in Puducherry and Karaikal regions shall be closed on January 14 and January 18 on account of ‘Thiruvalluvar Day’ and ‘Vallalar Jothi Day’, respectively
SC to deliver NEET PG judgement tomorrow
Vellore Institute of Technology, Bhopal, suspends Neeraj Bishnoi from the University with immediate effect until further notice.
Bishnoi had been arrested by the Delhi Police Special Cell’s IFSO team for the alleged involvement in the Bulli Bai case
Covid-19: Bengaluru reports 4324 cases, one death
- Karnataka on Thursday reported 5031 Covid-19 cases, and one death in Bengaluru.
- The Bengaluru urban district recorded 4324 cases, with its positivity rate climbing to 7.5%.
- There are 226 Omicron cases in the state. The positivity rate across the state, however, is 3.95%.
- The health authorities conducted 1.27 lakh tests on Wednesday.
COVID19 | 379 new COVID19 cases were reported in the state on 5th January
Active caseload stands at 5,785: Bihar government
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the second campus of Chittaranjan National Cancer Institute (CNCI) in Kolkata on 7th January via video conferencing: PMO
Britain reports human case of avian flu, no onward transmission
COVID-19 | 349 new cases- 202 from Jammu and 147 from Kashmir
116 recoveries reported in Jammu & Kashmir. Active cases in the UT are 2049
Puducherry: Restrictions imposed up to January 31 (midnight) with malls/markets allowed to operate at not more than 50% capactiy
Karnataka reports 5,031 fresh COVID19 cases
Positivity rate in Bengaluru goes up to 7.5% as cases cross 4k: ◾New cases in State: 5,031 ◾New cases in B'lore: 4… https://t.co/W3Fn4882a1
— Dr Sudhakar K (@mla_sudhakar) 1641474224000
All the travellers deboarding at Biju Patnaik International Airport, Bhubaneswar except those in transit have to undergo RTPCR test for COVID19 at the testing facility at the airport: Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation
Congress is all set to finalise the first list of candidates for Goa and Punjab Assembly Polls
Congress CEC meetings chaired by interim president Sonia Gandhi to be held for Goa on 7th Jan and for Punjab on 8th Jan. The meetings will be held through video conferencing.
It wasn’t a security lapse but was preplanned by Congress & its govt in Punjab, as they hate PM Modi. This shows they can go to any extent to stop him. Political rivalry should not result in personal enmity
– MoS MEA V Muraleedharan, on PM Modi’s security breach in Punjab
International arrivals from both ‘At-risk’ countries and ‘Non-at-risk’ countries who test positive for Covid19 at airports but are asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic to undergo 7-day institutional quarantine and followed by further 7-day home quarantine: Karnataka government
Kerala clocks 4,649 fresh COVID-19 cases, 221 deaths
Rajasthan CM Ashok Gehlot tests COVID-19 positive with very mild symptoms
Delhi reports 15,097 fresh Covid cases; Positivity rate reaches 15.34%
Delhi today reported 15,097 fresh cases, nearly 50% more than yesterday. There were six deaths due to Covid over the last 24 hours. The number of active cases has risen to 31,498. Positivity rate has gone up to 15.34%.
Assam | Special casual leave for government employees for two days -January 6 & 7 “to spend time with parents or in-laws”
Andhra Pradesh reports 547 new Covid19 cases in the last 24 hours
Active case tally at 2,266
We expect Chinese side to refrain from hyping normal activities by MPs
– MEA on embassy letter to MPs over Tibetan Parliament-in-exile event
Nepal PM Deuba’s India visit cancelled
The scheduled India visit of Nepal Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba has been cancelled after the Gujarat government deferred the Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit 2022 owing to the Covid crisis.
Govt taking all necessary steps to ensure our security interests are fully protected
– MEA on China building bridge in Pangong lake area
Government has increased significantly budget for development of border infrastructure during last seven years
It is being built in areas that have been under illegal occupation by China for around 60 years
– MEA on China building bridge in Pangong area
The substance, tone & tenor of the letter are inappropriate. The Chinese side should note that India is a vibrant democracy & Indian MPs as representatives of people undertake activities as per their beliefs
– MEA on Chinese embassy writing to MPs on their participation at an event