Coronavirus Live News Updates: India’s exports dip 12.66 per cent in August to USD 22.7 billion
!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
At the meeting of National Security Advisers of member states of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization today, hosted by the Chair of the SCO (Russia), the Pakistani NSA deliberately projected a fictitious map that Pakistan has recently been propagating: Ministry of External Affairs
Germany grants BioNTech, CureVac $745 mln to speed up COVID-19 vaccine work
Three COVID-19 vaccines at clinical trial stage in India: ICMR DG
Three COVID-19 vaccines are at a clinical trial stage in the country and two indigenous vaccine candidates have completed phase one trial, Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) DG Dr Balram Bhargava said on Tuesday.
Farmers continue to hold protest against recent agriculture ordinances
Amritsar: Farmers continue to hold protest against recent agriculture ordinances passed by Union Cabinet. Sarvan S… https://t.co/sjjBYqpauM
— ANI (@ANI) 1600173586000
India’s exports dip 12.66 per cent in August to USD 22.7 billion, trade deficit narrows to USD 6.77 billion: Govt data
COVID-19 tally in Mumbai slum colony Dharavi rises to 2,945 with addition of 7 new cases.
14-29 lakh COVID-19 cases, 37-78k deaths prevented by lockdown: Govt
- The government prevented 14-29 lakh coronavirus cases and 37,000-78,000 deaths due to the disease by imposing the nationwide lockdown that was announced on March 24, the Lok Sabha was informed on Tuesday.
- Union Minister of State for Home Nityanand Rai said the World Health Organisation (WHO) has observed, with regard to the lockdown measures taken by the government, that India’s response to COVID-19 has been pre-emptive, pro-active and graded with high–level political commitment and a “whole government” approach to respond to the pandemic.
Chennai Air Customs today seized 3,440 tablets of psychotropic drugs at Chennai Airport
Chennai Air Customs today seized 3,440 tablets of psychotropic drugs at Chennai Airport & arrested a pharma wholesa… https://t.co/YlYIZ7jANz
— ANI (@ANI) 1600171086000
India received USD 20 billion in FDI during COVID-19 pandemic: FS Shringla
- India has received over USD 20 billion in FDI amid the coronavirus pandemic, Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla said on Tuesday, showcasing the country as one of the most attractive destinations for investment globally.
- In a virtual address at a CII event in the UK, the foreign secretary highlighted various structural reforms undertaken by India in even previously restricted sectors such as space, defence and atomic energy for greater private participation.
Merkel plans to take 1,500 refugees from Greek islands
-Germany plans to take in 1,500 migrants currently taking shelter on Greek islands, government sources told AFP, in addition to around 150 unaccompanied minors from the burnt-out Moria camp.-Under a plan agreed by Chancellor Angela Merkel and Interior Minister Horst Seehofer, Berlin will take in migrants who have already secured refugee status, giving priority to families with children, the sources said.
German investor confidence hits 20-year high
Investor confidence in Germany unexpectedly soared to a 20-year high in September despite a resurgence in coronavirus cases and Brexit tensions, a key survey showed Tuesday.
HC asks DU to expedite results of online open book exams
- The Delhi High Court Tuesday asked Delhi University and its examiners to expedite the evaluation process of online open book examination (OBE) and declare the results preferably by the first week of October.
- The court directed the varsity to issue letters to principals of all its affiliated colleges highlighting the need for expediting the evaluation process and expeditiously declaring results.
- It said the results of concerned post graduate students, who are seeking to travel abroad for higher studies, be declared on before September 28.
Supreme Court stays telecast of subsequent 5 episodes of UPSC Jihad by Sudarshan News TV after observing the TV show apparently vilified Muslims as it propagated that Muslims are “infiltrating” civil services.
Supreme court: NGT asks CPCB to consider environment audit of Amazon, Flipkart and Pepsico
US & countries of Europe had a peak, then they came down&there is a 2nd wave occurring there. We took learning from that. We distributed the curve in a way that we didn’t have many deaths. It was because we had an effective lockdown. We didn’t have a huge peak at all: DG ICMR
India’s Covid-19 recovery rate rises to 78.28%: Union Health Ministry
There are only 4 states in country where total number of active cases is more than 50,000: Health Ministry
Our leader AR Chowdhury wanted to send a message of solidarity with our troops & to send a stern warning to China that they should not test our patience. Unfortunately, the govt feels as if only they can speak in support of the army.
– Gaurav Gogoi, Dy Leader of Congress in LS
Uttar Pradesh records highest single-day spike in COVID-19 deaths with 113 people succumbing to infection in last 24 hours.
There are 14 states & UTs in India where the total number of active cases are less than 5000. There are 18 states & UTswhere total active cases are between 5000-50,000.
– Rajesh Bhushan, Secretary, Union Health Ministry
Troops are accordingly being provisioned with suitable clothing, habitat & required defence wherewithal. They are capable of serving at forbidding altitudes with scarce oxygen & in extremely cold temperatures, something that they’ve done over last many years on Siachen & Kargi: RM, Lok Sabha
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh makes a statement on India-China border issue, in Lok Sabha:
#WATCH Defence Minister Rajnath Singh makes a statement on India-China border issue, in Lok Sabha (Source: Lok Sabh… https://t.co/gIu9Nt3rUy
— ANI (@ANI) 1600162537000
China to extend bond trading hours in interbank market
- China will extend bond trading by three hours in its interbank market from next week, to help foreign investors and boost further opening of its capital markets, clearing authorities said on Tuesday.
- From Sept. 21, trading will be extended until 8:00 p.m. (1200 GMT), China’s main interbank market clearing house said in a statement. Trading now ends at 5 p.m.
- The move aims at “further opening China’s interbank bond market and making it easier for domestic and overseas investors to trade interbank bonds,” the China Central Depository & Clearing Co (CCDC) said.
India adds over 83,000 cases, nears 5 million
- India confirmed more than 83,000 new coronavirus cases on Tuesday, bringing its total caseload to nearly 5 million.
- The Health Ministry also reported 1,054 new deaths, driving total fatalities up to 80,776.
- With 4.93 million confirmed cases, India has the second-highest total in the world after the U.S. Infections have maintained an upward surge
India has conveyed to China that attempt to forcibly alter Sino-Indian boundary is not at all acceptable: Rajnath Singh in Lok Sabha
China has mobilised huge forces:
“China has mobilised a huge number of Army battalions & armaments along LAC & inner areas. There’re many friction points in eastern Ladakh, Gogra, Kongka La, Pangong Lake’s north & south banks. Indian Army has made counter deployments in these areas,” said Defence MInister Rajnath Singh
We are committed to a peaceful resolution with China but forces ready for any eventuality
– Defence Minister Rajnath Singh
China’s repeatedly violated agreements: Rajnath
“Violent conduct of Chinese troops is a violation of all past agreements. Our troops have done counter deployments in the area to safeguard our borders,” says Defence Minister Rajnath Singh
We have told China through diplomatic channels that the attempts to unilaterally alter the status quo were in violation of the bilateral agreements
– Defence Minister Rajnath Singh
No agreements, yet, says Defence Minister
From Defence Minister Rajnath Singh’s Lok Sabha address: “India and China’s border issue remains unresolved, as of now; there has been no mutually acceptable solution. China disagrees on border demarcation.
China not agreeing with boundary alignment: Rajnath
“China doesn’t recognise the traditional and customary alignment of the boundary. We consider that this alignment is based on well established geographical principals,” says Defence Minister Rajnath Singh in his Lok Sabha address.
Both India and China agree that to maintain peace and tranquillity in the India-China border areas, it is essential for the further development of bilateral relations
– Defence Minister Rajnath Singh
Odisha amends its GST Act
The Odisha Cabinet has cleared a proposal for amendment of the Odisha Goods & Service Tax Act 2017, with provisions for fraudulent input tax credit, extension of punishment, making the offence a cognizable & non-bailable one. The Bill is to be introduced in the monsoon session of the Assembly.
Tamil Nadu: 7.5% reservation in UG medical colleges
Tamil Nadu Assembly passes bill to provide 7.5% reservation in undergraduate medical colleges for students of government schools who qualify NEET exams but can’t get seats.
Madhya Pradesh to build stadium for the specially-abled
“The Madhya Pradesh Cabinet has approved a proposal to provide land for Re 1 to construct a stadium for specially-abled persons. Madhya Pradesh will the first state in the country to build such a stadium,” said State Minister Narottam Mishra.
Muzaffarpur shelter home case: Delhi HC adjourns to Oct 1 Brijesh Thakur’s appeal against conviction, sentence
Manner in which some media houses are conducting debate is a matter of concern, says SC
H&M bounces back from coronavirus slump
- Sweden’s H&M, the world’s second-biggest fashion retailer, beat quarterly profit forecasts as it recovered more quickly than expected from a coronavirus-induced slump, in a positive sign for the industry.
- Profit before tax for June-August, the company’s third quarter, came in around 2 billion Swedish crowns ($229 million).
India’s willingness to play big role in manufacturing vaccines, send some of these to developing countries will be critical
– Bill Gates to PTI
Brokering idea of taking a vaccine and manufacturing it in India, even if it comes from AstraZeneca, Oxford, Novavax or J and J
– Bill Gates
All of us want to get a vaccine out in India as fast as we can, once we know that it’s very effective and very safe
– Bill Gates to PTI
A fire breaks out in a downtown Beirut building near the city’s port where an explosion last month killed nearly 200
India is a leading vaccine producer; we need cooperation from India on manufacturing COVID-19 vaccine
– Bill Gates to PTI
I’m quite optimistic that by first quarter of next year, several of COVID-19 vaccines will have final stage
– Bill Gates to PTI
Madan Sharma, retired Navy officer who was beaten up allegedly by Shiv Sena workers, joins BJP
From now on, I am with BJP-RSS. When I was beaten up, they had levelled allegations that I’m with BJP-RSS. So now I announce, that I am with BJP-RSS today onward: Madan Sharma, retired Navy officer who was beaten up allegedly by Shiv Sena workers in Mumbai, after meeting Governor
More than 50 projects in Bihar of over Rs 6,000 crore approved to keep Ganga clean
– PM Narendra Modi.
Rajasthan reports 799 fresh COVID-19 cases, 7 more deaths
Rajya Sabha adjourned till 9 am tomorrow.
PM Narendra Modi lauds Bihar govt’s efforts for girl education, giving representation to deprived sections in local bodies
I told him of the incident. Sections under which accused were booked are weak. Gov assured he’ll take action on my memorandum. I demanded that state govt be dismissed, President Rule be imposed. He assured he’ll speak to centre
– Ex-Navy officer Madan Sharma after meeting Maha Governor
PM Modi inaugurates and lays the foundation stone of seven projects related to urban infrastructure in Bihar
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurates and lays the foundation stone of seven projects related to urban infrastru… https://t.co/nepMD2dkfI
— ANI (@ANI) 1600153390000
Sarang Wadhawan of the HDIL group arrested by the Mumbai Police in a cheating and forgery case.
He is jail custody in the PMC scam, reports ET Bureau.
World saw the deaths of migrants, only the Modi government was not aware of it
– Congress leader Rahul Gandhi
Doordarshan celebrates 61st Foundation Day today
On 15 September 1959, #Doordarshan commenced telecast in the country. It has been discharging its duties zealously… https://t.co/wRSwtZYHOi
— Lok Sabha Speaker (@loksabhaspeaker) 1600150972000
Ordered inquiry into the matter of assault on Army veteran Sonu Mahajan, in 2016
– Maharashtra Home Minister Anil Deshmukh
A Pakistan Air Force aircraft crashed near Pindigheb, Attock during a routine training mission.
Pilot ejected safely: Pakistan media (ANI)
Rajya Sabha passes the Aircraft (Amendment) Bill, 2020
China successfully launches nine satellites into orbit from ship stationed in the Yellow Sea
Mahua Moitra questions scrapping of Question Hour
Yesterday’s written answers in LS: No date on migrant deaths No data on compensation No data on hit to unorganised… https://t.co/57TqfwOzLN
— Mahua Moitra (@MahuaMoitra) 1600148734000